Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Death by Cashews

It's been a while, ne?

I seriously can't believe it will be June in a few days... time is going by too fast, and I'm not liking that. In fact its going so fast that in just two months I will have been in Japan for a year! What?!?!?

So... what have I been up to recently? To be honest that's kind of a difficult question to answer. In fact I know that I've officially become accustomed to life here because I'm sitting here and struggling to write this blog. At first these blogs were easy as pie to write... everything was so fresh and so new that I knew instantly what would be interesting to readers (with most of you living outside of Japan). But now I've ...habituated, if you will.

The first thing that comes to mind in terms of what I've been up to recently - which also happens to relate to the title of this post - is that I've been eating boatloads of cashews. In fact, I was eating so many that my local grocery store ran out for a while there. There were riots in the streets.

And by streets I mean my house.

Luckily the stock has since been replenished, and the checkout clerks are once again commenting on my unnatural obsession with these fine delicacies. At this rate the mostly likely cause of death, were I to die in Japan, would be death by cashews (not earthquakes, difficult language barriers, or the encroaching brutality of Japanese summer).

Let's see... what else?? I had a great weekend a little while back in Nagoya. I went bowling, saw a movie in theaters (The Descendants), went to a game center, and had REAL Mexican food. Oh, did I mention it was good? It was good. To be honest, the food I miss the most from home is actually Mexican food. I miss burritos, enchiladas, tacos, chips & salsa, chimichangas... okay tears are falling on the keyboard... better change the subject

lol... seriously though. its not funny. you're probably eating chips and salse whilst laughing at me. rude.

Recently I've been hanging out a lot with a teacher I used to work with. It's been great! It honestly feels like the first true friendship I have with a Japanese person other than my friends in Tokyo. But it's a bit confusing, because I would honestly like to be more than just friends... but I also don't want to ruin the friendship either. Dilemmas. I have no idea how a Japanese person would act in such a situation or what I should do according to "modern Japanese norms"... but at the end of the day I'll probably just go about it the same way I would back home. In Japan, this could very easily turn into an epic fail. But that's alright I suppose. At least I will have tried and hopefully I will have learned something in the process.

Oh! I also finally made it to the AMAZING beach in my town. It's stunning. I was lucky enough to have gone on a day with perfect weather (not too hot and not too cold) and yet there was almost nobody there. It was so relaxing and just what I needed. I'm going to try to go at least 1 or 2 times every month.

This weekend I'll head north, and depending on the weather I'll either be heading to an amusement park and riding roller coasters or visiting a jail-themed restaurant.

I'll say that again: a jail-themed restaurant.
Its exactly what it sounds like.

If I don't go there this weekend, I'm definitely going to go there some other time. It's a must. Details once I've done it.

Well.... I guess that's it.... I don't really know what else to say. Sorry that this has been a short one. I just wanted to update everyone back home. I'm sorry these aren't more regular.

Have a good morning/day/night in whatever corner of the world you live!

6 comments:

  1. Well what do you really want to get out of this relationship? the likelihood of you staying in Japan forever are low in fact from what I know about you 2 years is the max stay for now. So getting in a relationship just to break up and hurt more than if you just never did sounds silly to me.
    Also say you express those feelings to said person and they don't return them a perfectly good friendship could be ruined and you would be left pretty lonely in Japan. (or rather lonelier.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. psh, don't listen to the person above. go for it if you really like her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be interesting in hearing your response to my theory that she never really thought you were friends in the first place, especially if you were taking all that effort to see her. If you were using the friend-word, you were the one friend-zoning her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @tyger: i dont know exactly who u are (im guessing ur Carla's Nick?), but you bring up some valid points... Your right that I probably won't stay in Japan forever, but right now I would be willing to stay in my current placement for (probably) up to 2 more years. After that, I don't know if I'll be done with Japan and go home, or try and move to a bigger city like Nagoya.

    But the idea of not trying, just because I think something will happen in 2 -3 years, seems foolish to me. I'm at a point in life where no plans are absolute... so anything between then and now can change. And because I don't know for certain what is ahead for me, I would rather not put restrictions on myself for the the sake of some "what if..." of the future.

    @Eda: thanks. i did.

    @Marissa: lol. i'm really bad at this stuff, so i honestly don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love reading your blog posts dude. They're so interesting. Hope things working out.

    ReplyDelete